Sunday, July 13, 2014

Chatuchak / Jatujak Market (ตลาดจตุจักร)

Firstly, I now understand what all the buzz is around these markets. They are big, they are messy, they are busy, they are hot but they are also amazing.

My day started by catching the BTS (sky train) all the way to the end of the line. From here, Chatuchak is about a 5 minute walk and as soon as you descend from the station, the craziness begins. P E O P L E - E V E R Y W H E R E. A decent mix of foreigners and Thai.....interesting!

I took the shortcut through H.M Queen Sirikit Pk - which strangely reminded me of Cairns/tropics. Buffalo grass, humid and palm trees? Anyway, as i emerged from the park I walked straight into the markets. Now, there are a million ways to get into the actual markets, and I later found out that I didn't exactly go through the "main" entrance - oh well!

First impressions though:

- Okkkk, this is kind of like MBK. But bigger.  (MBK is the discount shopping mall in central Bangkok)
- I need a beverage. Sweat is pouring off me.
- Wholesale price?  Ahh, it clicked! This is where a would-be market Staller would buy their goods in bulk then pretend they are theirs? I get it i get it..
- What do i actually need? How much luggage do I have?

As i keep walking through the sections I slowly became disorientated, but reminded myself to use physical reminders - like the clock tour in the 'middle' to focus on. Don't bother using market stalls to remind you - they all start looking the same.

I'll be honest, I've put off going to these markets for month now because they are seen as a bit touristy. After now experiencing them, I stand by that, however I also understand why it is a must do for any tourist (and surprisingly - it wasn't all foreigners - a lot of Thai too).

You really can buy anything you want though, such as but not limited too:

- Puppies (YES. See the pictures. A bit cruel though..)
- Slingshots/guns
- Denim bags (HA!)
- World cup memorabilia
- Any FOOD you can think of (honestly - the food looked AMAZING)
- and then all the usual stuff...flowers, shirts, shorts, candles, oils, burners, decorations, jewellery, Buddha's, furniture, etc.

Overall I would definitely recommend it. Put a whole day down to it, go as a group, get a map and just enjoy yourself. Eat as much as you can but only buy what you need (don't be THAT tourist that walks out with too many bags to carry).


Oh, and don't wear thongs. Amazingly I had black feet when i walked out....... oops....

Could talk more but pictures explain things MUCH better. Now Enjoy xx

P.S - After this I went and saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes @ Siam Paragon. Amazing !!!!!  (and only 220 THB - $8~).

MAP:



No comments:

Post a Comment